Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Self Portrait of a Rock Star

So I’m running a little behind on my blog posting today. It might have something to do with the explosion at the Columbus Chemical Industries last night. About 8:30 we thought we were hearing someone break into our house. Actually it was the first explosion. Forty foot flames, nasty fumes, evacuations and lots of television stations. The authorities let it burn out overnight rather than putting it out. Very smart considering the volatile contents of the building. Big bad fire but everything turned out fine today. It looks as though all things considered it could have been way worse.



Whoops. What I meant to say was Self Portrait in a Rockaway. For those of you that don’t know me I have included my self portrait above. Well sort of. Taken in the reflection of a Rockaway body panel that Dale has been sanding and buffing for the last three days. That’s why I can take my picture in it.



This is what we are going to call a real time project. A restoration project that we are currently working on in the shop. Some of the projects that you have seen on the blog have been completed very quickly. That was by blog magic time lapse photography.



We have a number of real time projects in the shop that we will be following. This Rockaway, the Skeleton Gig, the European Phaeton and the Marathon Carriage. There are more. We usually juggle six or seven jobs at one time.



We are restoring this very nice Glass Rockaway for a client in New York. It is now to the point of being ready for upholstery and trim.



Here we have the doors. The body has been sanded and buffed. The doors are ready for the same process.



So here I am with what was supposed to be my weekend project. A free barn cupola. All I have to do is move it. How hard could it be to move a barn cupola? So the brilliant plan is to back up to it with a dump trailer. Strap it against the trailer bed. Lower the bed. Drive away. Slick. Well as you can see it's pretty good sized. It didn’t work.

It sure would have looked great in our garden.

Best!
Todd

No comments: