Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ye Olde Columbus

Biscuits and gravy with an egg on top. That was breakfast this morning. I know not healthy but man it’s good. Make the egg over easy and that is about as good a way to start the day as anything. I like egg. I like biscuits. I like gravy. Put them together and now you’ve really got something.



This is a postcard that I have yet to see. Click it. I think this is a really great shot taken at the Fireman’s Park. The building is the Rest Haven but look at the cannon! Is that cool or what? Wonder what happened to that thing? I think I need to have a little talk with Jack Rhodes. Jack is the official cannon builder for the City of Columbus and I think he needs to replicate that thing.



Below the Dam in Columbus. If I really studied this I suppose I could figure out just where it was taken. Maybe someone else knows but it must be down by River Road someplace.



Now this is the former High School. I think this is now what’s called Dickason School. There is an older portion that is still in place and in use. I’m pretty sure this is it.



The Library. I really like the Columbus Library building. Good architecture that has stood the test of time. It is a Carnegie Library and carries the name Williams Free Library. One of 1,689 public libraries built in the United States funded by Andrew Carnegie.



And finally a bird’s eye view of Columbus. These photos seemed to have been really popular back at the turn of the century. Everyone must have been fascinated by flight at that time. I'm guessing this one was taken from atop the smoke stack at the canning factory. I'm thinking Rod should replicate this photo by scaling the old stack. It's still there and looks fairly sturdy to me.

We planned to begin our more interesting life tonight. Head to Madison for dinner and enjoy a night out. Before I knew it I looked at the clock. It was 7:00 and I was still in the shop cutting parts. Maybe tomorrow we’ll start our interesting life.

Have a great Thursday!

Ciao!
T

2 comments:

michelleblackler said...

Cool Postcards! What a great thing to have about Columbus.

First thing you need to understand, Todd, is that you already have an interesting life and that eggs, biscuits and gravy and cutting carriage parts is it. Today. Tomorrow will be different.

Most people work in windowless boxes tethered to computer screens. American Carriage Builder is the kind of life most people dream about having, but never will.

And, let's face it, not everyone can be Todd Frey.

Toddersville said...

nor should they want to be...

Thanks Michelle.